HELLO MY LOVELIES!
I’m so excited to finally share my latest everyday skincare routine, a post that is long overdue! If you’ve followed me for quite some time, you may remember my first skincare post from 2018:
Honestly, my skincare routine isn’t THAT much different than it used to be but I have incorporated some new products to ensure I’m taking the best care of my skin and giving it the fuel and food it needs to look its best! With so many new readers to the blog and followers on Instagram, I owe you all the details on what products I use and how I take care of my skin each and every day!
There are rules to everything in life and that definitely extends to what you put on your skin! The key is to create a routine that ticks all of your boxes, but to not go overboard and include 20+ products! But before getting into my morning and evening skin care routines, which will always be a little bit different, let me share a little bit about my skin type!
My Skin Type
Your skin inevitably changes a little bit as you age but I think mine has mostly always been combination skin! My forehead and chin have always been oily and everywhere else is normal. I’ve always experienced occasional breakouts, especially along my chin, which has left me with some scaring! If my skin has changed at all, I will say that I experience more infrequent breakouts and my skin is NOT as oily as it once was, thank goodness!
Everyone gets spots, they’re inevitable! Spots are a sign your skin is in need of help! Spots are caused by trapped dead skin, which is most common in oily skin types as skin oil behaves like glue. There are 3 key factors; trapped dead skin, excess skin oil and spot causing bacteria – Propionibacterium acnes.
When I get a spot, my go-to product is The Body Shop Tea Tree Oil! I dispense a few drops of tea tree oil onto a cotton swab and dot it directly onto my spot! Tea Tree Oil contains ingredients which act as anti-inflammatories that help treat and prevent spots, it’s the perfect targeted treatment! Tea Tree Oil may also help reduce the severity and risk of scarring!
BOTTOM LINE: Tea Tree Oil is an effective natural remedy for spots!
STEP ONE: CLEANSER
I always start every morning by washing my face with Bioré Deep Pore Charcoal Cleanser Face Wash with warm water. I use my cleanser when I’m in the shower using exfoliating gloves (now I’m definitely no beauty or skincare expert, but everyone has their own way and this way works for me!)
This cleanser starts as a gel and suds up as you work it into your skin. What I love about this cleanser is that it leaves your skin feeling SO clean, not dry or tight!
STEP TWO: TONER
After I cleanse my skin, I always use a toner for additional cleansing and resurfacing! The toner that I use is The Body Shop Tea Tree Skin Clearing Mattifying Toner. I can promise you my skin NEVER feels tight or dried out after using this product! I simply apply the toner using round cotton pads and evenly sweeping it all over my face and neck in the morning! The toner has ‘shake-to-activate’ mattifying powders, and leaves my skin feeling clean, refreshed and visibly clearer!
STEP THREE: SERUM
I apply The Body Shop Tea Tree Anti-Imperfection Daily Solution after the toner has set into my skin! It gives my skin a subtle glow and locks in moisture to support a balanced appearance! It helps me look a little more ‘awake’, if you will, in the morning! You can’t beat a product that does that! This lightweight daily solution helps combat blemishes and improves the overall condition of my skin. It helps my skin look and feel purified and appear clearer! Unfortunately they don’t sell this product any more (#SadFace) BUT I do have enough left to keep me going for a month or so, so this would be a great opportunity for me to explore and find a replacement! If you have any suggestions, please do let me know!
STEP FOUR: MOISTURISE
This is an ESSENTIAL. I have been using Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Lotion for nearly 7 years now and it feels amazing on my skin, and the lotion provides deep hydration all over! This velvety soft formula absorbs quickly, creating a protective barrier that locks in moisture. I tend to put this on whenever I can, but mostly in the mornings and it keeps my skin moisturised until the evening! I think this product has mad it onto my holy grail list!
STEP FIVE: EYES
I’ve had The Body Shop Vitamin E Refreshing Eye Cube for a while now, and the product promises to ‘cools and instantly revives the appearance of tired eyes’, which I 100% agree with! This product has become a staple in my skincare routine, simply because I want my eyes to look refreshed all the time! The product is small, so is very handy when travelling, and it glides onto my skin effortlessly, and then I use my index finger to massage the product under my eyes!
STEP SIX: EYELASHES
This is something I’ve recently added into my skincare regime! The Rapidlash Eyelash Enhancing Serum has become another staple, I can’t imagine my life without it now! I’ve been using the eyelash serum for nearly 2 months now, and although I noticed a difference a while back, I carried it on to improve my results, and it’s definitely been working!
You can check out my review *here*!
STEP SEVEN: EYELASH CURLER
My eyelashes have ALWAYS been flat and facing downwards (it’s so so annoying), so even with the eyelash serum working it’s magic making them thicker and longer, they still appear flat! So of course I went straight onto Google and read a post on how to have naturally curly lashes, and they recommended many products, but I’m already so happy using my eyelash serum, and I don’t want to add another product onto my lashes as it might counteract so after I’ve left the eyelash serum to set for around 5 minutes, I go ahead and curl my lashes! I do this every morning, and the post that I read says that it should start to make them naturally curlier after a few months so I’ll keep you updated on if this works!
STEP EIGHT: LIPS
My lips ALWAYS need hydrating! I used to use Carmex, but that really dries out my lips for some reason, so in the morning I use Maybelline’s Baby Lips in the shade ‘Cherry Me’! This is a holy grail product for me, I always carry it with me! I also use this throughout the day, it’s incredibly moisturising and has a hint of pink for colour! I’ve been using this lip balm for years after seeing it advertised in Seventeen magazine when I was around 14/15 years old, and the thing that attracted me to this particular lip balm is the subtle hint of pink! My lips have been dark for years, and the fact that this product makes me feel so confident about my lips is amazing!
My evening routine is pretty simple, I don’t like to have a lot of product on my face in general, hence why I use only around 6/7 products in my morning routine, and although most people tend to use the same skincare routine for the morning and evening, my morning routine is drastically different to my evening routine!
STEP ONE: ALOE VERA
When I’m getting ready for bed, I apply aloe vera all over my face and neck, massaging my face as I do this! I do this twice, the first layer is to massage it in and the second layer is to let is sit and naturally dry. Aloe Vera has so many benefits, this Wonder Plant has anti-ageing properties, exfoliates and moisturises the skin, removes dark spots and reduces skin pigmentation! I won’t go into too much detail right now, but I am thinking of writing up a blog post about Aloe Vera and it’s many benefits, what do you think?
STEP TWO: EYELASH SERUM
I use this product twice a day, I honestly don’t know if it’ll make the growth of my eyelashes faster and thicker, but it can’t hurt to try! My plan is to keep using this product until it runs out, and if I notice a change in my growth and thickness, I’ll know that this product is definitely a wonder product and will be buying it again!
STEP THREE: LIPS
I apply Vaseline Original Petroleum Jelly to my lips before bed, just to keep them moisturised throughout the night! It’s the most amazing feeling to go to bed AND wake up with moisturised lips! I keep a tub of Vaseline everywhere! I have one on my bedside table, one in my bag, and one in my car! However the one on my bedside table is the one that is used the most!
That is literally it!
Like I said, my evening skincare routine is not as heavy as my morning skincare routine!
I don’t tend to use face masks, pore strips etc. because honestly, my skin doesn’t benefit from it – or not that I’ve noticed anyway! If I do feel like doing a face mask, of course I will, but it’s not a staple item in my skincare routine, it’s more of a self-care product for me!
The older I’ve gotten, the more I’ve really taken to heart the moral that what we eat influences our skin health. I’ve spent the last several months really zero-ing in on a couple key goals related to diet, skincare, and general lifestyle:
- Be consistent: You really have to commit to anything you are experimenting with in skincare for a couple weeks to know whether or not it is working for you (unless of course you are having a severe reaction to something). Two weeks has been my marker…if my skin isn’t looking or feeling improved by something after two weeks, I really stepped back and exchanged it for something else. And when you do find something that works well? Stick to it religiously!
- Sleep: get it. Staying up until the early hours of the morning working and not letting yourself reset and recharge takes its toll on your body!
Before I get to the next bullet points, here is something that was super important for me to finally understand: your skin is constantly shedding! Your skin is also a major way your body expels things (other than going to the bathroom in case you need me to spell it out!). So anything your body has a hard time digesting can be pushed out in some way through your skin! So clogged pores can be a sign that your diet needs some adjustments!
- For me, that meant cutting back a lot on sugar. I am a sugar monster, so this one was hard for me! Having to cut down on sweets, chocolate, sugared energy drinks and my favourite drink.. COKE! But once my head started to understand how much it was affecting my skin, it was for some reason much easier for me to cut way back on it! Essentially, I am a vain person who prefers a clear complexion to the joys of consuming sugar in mass quantities! Judge me if you must, I’ve come to terms with it.
- Water: drink lots of it. Water has never really been fun for me to drink, I’d much rather drink green tea! I usually drink my brewed tea in a pint glass, filling it halfway with a tea bag and boiling water, and the rest with cold water once it’s brewed! That way I’m still getting my water intake, flushing out toxins in my body faster, and contributes to harnessing better skin elasticity!
- Vitobiotics: The best Vitabiotics for me have to be Perfectil Original! I started taking them a while back and they are a triple active supplement for my skin, hair and nails! These Vitabiotics have over 20 micronutrients including, Biotin which contributes to the maintenance of normal skin, Zinc which helps to maintain normal hair, Selenium which contributes to the maintenance of normal hair and nails!
- Gua Sha Face Massager: I’ve been wanting to add this into my evening skincare routine for a while now! I used to have a Jade Roller, but it broke and I wasn’t using it as much as I thought I would, however the Gua Sha looks a lot easier to use as well as something that I would see a physical change with! The Gua Sha will help to enhance the shape and tone of your face and give you a brighter and healthier glow!
- Ole Henriksen Let’s Get Luminous Brightening Vitamin C Essentials Set: I actually gifted this to my friend for her birthday, and after she used it, she recommended it to me! One thing that I like to target with my skincare is brightening my skin and making sure it has a healthy glow! I feel like this essentials set will help target that!
- Magnitone Barefaced 2 3D Vibra-Sonic Facial Cleansing and Toning Brush: I’ve seen a lot of people use and recommend adding a cleansing brush into their skincare regime, and after doing some research, I’ve been eager to buy one! This particular cleansing brush features 3 modes: sensitive, deep cleanse, and ‘Pulselift Toning’ mode! It also has a built in timer and is FULLY WATERPROOF!! This is a must for me!! Seeing as I like to use my cleanser in the shower, and I am currently using exfoliating gloves to cleanse, this would be a huge upgrade!
- Superfacialist Vitamin C+ Dark Circles Eye Cream: I used to use this eye cream a year or so ago, but I ran out any never ended up buying another! Now this isn’t because I felt like the product wasn’t working for my skin, because it was! I just simply forget to replace my empty one and because I’ve been writing this post, I was having a little think about products I’ve used and what has and hasn’t worked on my skin! I would love to purchase this product again! It gave my under eyes a healthy glow, and made them appear less dark over time!
So there we have it, my skincare routine! Aren’t you glad I kept this short and sweet? JK, you should know by now that I don’t know how to do that haha! But I’m so glad I’ve shared with you my skin type, spot treatment, morning skincare routine, evening skincare routine, my lifestyle, and my skincare wishlist! If you lovelies have any products, regimens, or general skincare tips, definitely share them below! We are all in this together, and honesty about what works for you and what hasn’t is so helpful to me and to other readers too!
I hope you guys enjoyed this blog post, don’t forget to like and follow my blog! 💗
Do you have a skincare routine? What are your favourite skincare products? Talk to me in the comments below! 🥰
This blog is NOT sponsored and all opinions are my own.